Saturday, June 21, 2008

Hobie Surf Team Circa 66'


My Dad pulled this classic shot of Phil Edwards at Emilios (Now Sundown). Check out how formal everyone was, all dressed up in suits and ties. It's a shame none of those boards are hiding in the back of the shop. 
After Further inspection,  Emilio is furthest on the right, then Mike Tabling, Dick Catri, unknown, Gary Propper, Winfried Breuer and then Phil Edwards. 
Classic Shot! If you ever wanted to ride for a surf team, you had to wear a suit and tie. Imagine that nowadays?  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was like the house Grem at Emilio's Surf & Ski (The Hobie Shop) on Hempstead Turnpike in Levittown. I was Phil Edward's guide on Long Island. I remember he smoked Camels and was shocked that they cost 50 cents a pack. He sold me a Phil Edwards model board with the thinnest rails I ever saw for $100! Imagine that! The last one auctioned for over $6,000. Wish I hadn't traded it in for that Bunger...Emilio and Winifried couldn't surf for s*it, but their store legitimized the L.I. surfing scene. The hottest L.I. local back then was George Fisher. Hot locals from the 'hood were the Stavin Bros,Perry Mancuso, the Lett Bros, & Russ Finnerty. Bruce Brown showed up and filmed this guy 'Crazy Eddie (Williams?)" from Memorial H.S. racing down "Suicide Hill" in Huntington on his skateboard. He got wheel lock halfway down and cartwheeled on his face. His puss was a mass of roadrashed scab for weeks, but he's in the movie. God, I miss those days at Gilgo and the Long Beach jetty. I'm 60 now.